Monday 4 January 2010

Comrades

I started my exercise regime today, given that I'm still full of festive cheer and need to lose a few pounds of it. That and I need to achieve some sort of fitness - It is recommended that climbers of Ben Nevis have at least average cardiovascular fitness. So I'm starting with the rowing machine, a purchase planted firmly under the heading: "It seemed like a good idea at the time." (Wonder how long it'll last this time...)

Anyway, I won't be climbing Ben Nevis alone. I will be part of a highly skilled* team of hikers, all of whom are Leicester fans, and all of whom have hearts bigger than Nevis in the first place. So, in no particular order:
Rob - The expert. He's been up Snowdon before, which makes us all completely reliant on him.
Ross - Master of quizzes, but won't know the meaning of the word 'quit': Not for himslef and not for the rest of us.
Adam - So laid back he's horizontal. Will probably glide up the mountain.
Shapey - Great spirit and will see the whole project through to success.
Tom T - A winner; fiery and a bit of a joker. He'll help to drive us all on.
Tom R - A warm bloke and a real team player. None of this will faze him.
Tom C - The original and the best; he's the reason we all met. He plays rugby, so no problems there!
Glen - If he hikes up mountains he way he plays as a centre back, Nevis will be trembling.
Ian - The secret weapon. The mystery man. And he works for Radio Leicester! Will hit the mountain with drive and purpose.
Steve - Last but by no means least, the daddy of the group (both in age and quantity of offspring). He won't let us quit. And, as if to prove himself further, he's running the London marathon the previous Sunday. This makes him brave yet borderline insane, but we love him for it anyway.
And I make eleven!
I therefore hope I can bring the kind of qualities to the journey that my comrades will. (And I wouldn't want to be going without them!)


*Okay, maybe not that highly skilled. But the will is there and that's the important thing.

2 comments:

  1. Do you have enough Toms on your team? Are you sure Ben can take three of them at once?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure, but as long as the mountain stays vaguely upright I don't mind.

    ReplyDelete