Sunday 17 January 2010

Burrough Hill

After purchasing boots and socks last week, yesterday I found myself back at the outdoor exploits shop buying a coat, a pair of trousers and a second pair of socks, which I probably should have thought about last week. Thanks to Rob G for his suggestions and recommendations - the coat in particular.
It continues to alarm me just how much this serious hiking game costs and I'm wondering what else I can do with all of this new gear once I'm finished with Nevis. (Or rather when Nevis has finished with me.)

Today, I finally muddied my boots! I went to a place called Burrough Hill, on the east side of Leicestershire and just south of Melton Mowbray, although calling it a Hill might be a bit deceptive. Nonetheless, I found a couple of inclines to test my boots out on and did find some decent views up there when the sun shone. (See pictures.) I also met one nice middle-aged couple who took a photograph of me there as well for my profile. However, it turned out to be terrible so I just stuck one on of me and the parrot instead. (I'm on the left.)
Overall, it was a very pleasant walk on what snow-haters would describe as the first nice day for ages.

So, importantly, what have I learned?
- How and where I lace my boots is important.
- A mile is less than I thought it was.
- Some of your fellow hikers/walkers will talk to you quite happily and others won't even begrudgingly give you the time of day without you going out of your way to call and wave to them first.
- It is said that only two things are certain in life - Death and Taxes. I can now add Mud to that list.
- I could do with more practice on better simulations of Ben Nevis.

2 comments:

  1. Nice pics- bigger ones next time though, please! ;-)

    Every game costs a packet if you want to do it half decently, although you do learn where you need to spend the money and where you can cut costs as you go along. Your hiking gear will almost definitely be available more cheaply (without skimping on quality) elsewhere- you just need to find the right places.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're probably right, although it's a bit late now as I still have most of it!

    ReplyDelete